Monday, September 1, 1997

Ron's Big Life Update - September 1997

Hi, all. Hope your respective Labors went smoothly. We labored very little on Labor Day, actually; everyone we know either went home to visit parents, or had company in from out of town. Low-key holiday at the Gerberhaus.

Not long ago, I sent e-mail to my brother in which I described a potential product line of breakfast cereals: Day-O's, Grouch-O's, Tornad-O's, Meskeet-O's, Barry Manil-O's, etc. The following two paragraphs are his response to me, and then my response to him. I laughed, anyway.
It's funny that you come up with all these cereal names with -O's. During high school, we used to play Wiper Games with my car. You dump stuff all over the windshield and I turn on the wipers and see how far I can fling them. But they had to end in O. Doritos, Nachos, Burritos; they're all fair game. I still have Cheerios in the inside air conditioning vents.
I, in response, have a story about Cheerios. Margaret, as you know, is a big slob, much like yourself. We had changed the oil in my car, and had about 3 quarts of used oil in a plastic milk jug. She put the jug o' oil on the floor in the back seat of her car, thinking that one day she might bring the oil to a gas station and they would dispose of it properly. (Pouring used motor oil down the drain is not considered proper disposal.) Needless to say, months elapsed and the oil never found its way to the gas station. It did find its way out of the jug, though, and would have made a hefty mess on the floor of Margaret's car had she not accidentally spilled an entire box of Cheerios all over the floor first. As fate would have it, Cheerios absorb motor oil fairly well, and prevented what could have been a planet-threatening oil spill in the back of Margaret's car. That was about two years ago, and I'm confident that those same Cheerios still grace the floor of Margaret's car to this day.

Ron "why labor when you can sleep till noon" G