Monday, October 19, 1998

Ron's Big Life Update - October 1998

"I love cheesy poofs/You love cheesy poofs/If we didn’t like cheesy poofs/We’d be lame" - Cheesy Poofs jingle from South Park, sung (oddly enough) to the tune of NPR’s "All Things Considered" theme music

The Minnesota Vikings are kicking butt, the top 40 radio station out here just started running Casey Kasem’s "American Top 40" on Sunday mornings, I finally found a pizza place in the Twin Cities that makes New York City-style pizza, my house has a new roof courtesy of my homeowner’s insurance and a May hailstorm, and the Barenaked Ladies finally have a #1 song. Life is very good indeed.

Aside from all that, not much is happening out here. Margaret just turned 30, so now I’m married to an old lady. I can just see her driving around at 10 MPH, with only her knuckles showing over the dashboard. (At least until I turn 30. Then life will be back to normal.)

I had my first adverse reaction to a vaccine of any kind: my recent flu shot got me very sick for exactly one day. I had a fever, an elevated pulse, and a headache all over my body. Woo-hoo! And one day later I was back to normal. Very odd. I don’t know what they put in those vaccines, but it caused me to take my first sick day ever. Bleh.

We rented a bunch of movies (not all at once). I can heartily recommend Wag The Dog, Donnie Brasco, and Drugstore Cowboy, and I could go either way on Copland (Stallone was far and away the most interesting thing about the movie. The other characters and the plot are ho-hum, but Sly put it a good performance.)

I caught Deliverance on TV a few days ago, and it’s still a remarkably scary movie. Coincidentally, I picked up a horrible album from 1973 called "Banjo Barons", which features banjo versions of then-current songs, like "You’re So Vain", "I Can See Clearly Now", and "Song Sung Blue". Not for the faint of stomach.

Later this month, "Crap From The Past" will be airing a two-part special on the Stars on 45 medley craze from 1981-82, called "Keep Your Feet On The Ground And Keep Reaching For The Stars On 45".

If you check the U.S. Patents database, you’ll see that I have three patents to my name. Nobody is more surprised at this than I am, because all of them were issued for my Kodak work, and since I left Kodak a year and a half ago, the whole department has been dissolved. Well, if nothing else, I’ve left my tiny mark on history. Along with the other 5.7 million patents that have been issued.

We expect snow on Wednesday. Life is back to normal...

Stay warm,
Ron